A popular Vietnamese soup noodle is called pho. It is made up of broth from beef/chicken bones, and contains herbs, meat chicken, beef, or tofu, and linguine-shaped rice noodles. Pho noodles are made from pristine white flour. It is served in restaurants, street stalls, and households as well. It is considered the national dish of Vietnam. In Vietnam it very popular breakfast, locals love to stop by for a delicious bowl in breakfast before going to the office
It is pronounced as “fuh”. This traditional street food got famous in other countries. It is light and full of flavor soup. Listed below pho food benefits and recipes
Vietnamese Pho food Recipes
This popular dish can be made in different ways with variations in ingredients with the same recipe. There are three main types of pho recipes. Its taste may vary in different parts of Vietnam or other countries.
Its taste depends on the broth’s flavor, herbs added, or size of the noodles. People use different vegetables and foods to serve with it like bean sprouts, fresh or dry rice noodles, and lime wedges.
Types of pho
It is mainly divided into three types.
Pho bo (beef)
pho ga (chicken)
pho chay (vegetarian)
Pho bo is fancier than pho ga. It takes longer to cook. Pho bo is made from assorted parts of the beef. Beef neck, shank with marrow, and oxtail are used to make broth. Pho bo is served with beef steak, beef balls, brisket, and flank. As compared to pho chicken pho bo is spiced with cardamom, star anise, cloves, coriander, and cinnamon.
All types of pho served in a hot bowl, topped with cilantro, white onion, and green onions, A vegetable platter contains bean sprout, sliced jalapeno, lime wedges, Thai Basil also served with pho food to make it more delicious.
Chicken Pho (Pho Ga) Recipe
Po ga is a homemade easy version of pho ba as it requires less effort to make. The recipe contains a combination of different steps to make soup.
- Chicken Pho Soup Broth
This recipe contains different steps. We will divide the process into two main steps.
Chicken pho Soup or broth
Chicken pho topping
The following steps are describing its ingredients and their importance to get the final taste.
1- Chicken Soup
Chicken- Take Chicken thighs or whole chicken with skin to make broth.
Leftover Chicken- Leftover chicken will be used to top over the soup.
Spices- Star anise, cloves, coriander, cinnamon, and fennel, will add aromatic
Onion and ginger- It is a mandatory inclusion in the broth to give an aromatic touch. To charred onion and ginger will give a smoky flavor.
Sugar– Sugar is also necessary for Pho broth as it is a bit sweet in taste. If you don’t add sugar you will notice something is missing.
Fish Sauce– It adds more flavors to the broth as compared to soya sauce.
- Chicken Pho Toppings
Pho food is special as it has different toppings, especially fresh herbs. Following are the items required to make Pho ga toppings.
Thai Basil- The Asian version of the Italian Basil is called Thai basil. It has almost the same taste and the additional taste of subtle aniseed. If you don’t find it in your area you can substitute it with basil.
Pho Ga Recipe Ingredients
Onion 2 yellow unpeeled
Ginger 4 inch fresh unpeeled
Fish Sauce 3 tablespoons
Chicken 4 pounds
Chicken parts with bone(neck and back) 3 pounds
Salt 1 ½ tablespoons
Water 5 quarters
Rock sugar 1 ounce
Coriander seed 2 tablespoons
Cilantro 1 bunch small
Bowel preparation (for serving)
Rice Noodles 2 pounds (small, flat dried or fresh)
Onion 1 yellow, sliced paper-thin, let it soaked cold water for 30 minutes
Scallion 3-4 green part, sliced thin
Cilantro 1/3 cup freshly chopped leaves
Black pepper as per taste
Bean sprout ½ pound
Thai Basil and sprigs mint 10-12
Cilantro leaves 12-15 fresh
Thai chilies 2-3 thin sliced
Lime 2-3 cut into wedges
- Final Preparation
- Char the onion and Ginger–
First, take a big pan. Heat it on a high flame without adding any oil. Now put the onion and ginger in it for a few minutes and cook both sides. Put the cut side down first and burn them well until they become slightly soft and sweetly fragrant.
No need to blacken the entire veggies. When charred completely remove from the pot and let it cool. Trim the blackened parts of veggies and wash them under warm water.
Remove the skin of ginger with a peeler and halve it lengthwise. Keep them aside.
- Toast the Spices-
Take a skillet and heat it on medium flame. Toast the dry spices for a few minutes.
- Wash the chicken under cold water. Now chop the bones in a size of 1-2 inches to expose the marrow. It will enrich the broth.
- Take a big pan, add water and chicken, bring it to a boil for 5 minutes and rinse the impurities. And each part of the chicken.
- Now clean the pot, add chicken and add water to it.
- First, boil it on high flame then simmer it on low heat.
- Now add onion ginger, salt, rock sugar, fish sauce, cloves, cilantro, and coriander seed and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Take out the cooked chicken in a large bowl.
- Rinse and strain the chicken under cold water and let it cool.
- Now cut the chicken breast in halves, and remove the whole legs and keep it aside for serving.
- Now simmer the leftover carcass for another 1 ½ hours. Don’t boil hard otherwise, it will become cloudy.
- Put off from the stove and strain the leftover broth. Discard other things.
- You can adjust the flavor of the broth by adding salt, sugar, and fish sauce as per your taste.
Assemble the Bowls
- Take rice noodles, if dry then add hot tap water and soak for 20 minutes or until they are opaque and drain it. If you are using fresh noodles then rinse under the fresh water and drain in a colander.
- Remove the skin of the chicken if you don’t like it. Cut the chicken into small pieces ¼ inch thick.
- Arrange the garnish on a plate and ready scallion, yellow onion, and cilantro for bowls.
- While assembling the bowl, simmer the broth on medium heat.
- Take a large pot, fill it with water and bring it to a boil.
- Take a vertical handle sieve and put a portion of rice noodles in it. Now dunk it into boiling water for 10-20 seconds. Take out the sieve and let it drain all the water into the boiling pot. Put the noodles into a bowl.
- Put chicken in each bowl over noodles. Add yellow onion, cilantro, and scallion over the chicken. Sprinkle pepper on it.
- Put the boiling broth into each bowl and serve immediately with garnish.
Pho Bo Recipes
Pho bo can be customized by adding different beef cuts. There are different variations of pho bo as given below:
Pho chin includes brisket or sliced well-done flank.
Pho Tai contains sliced rare tenderloin or ribeye.
Pho Nam has a trimmed flank steak of beef.
Pho Ve Don is made from untrimmed flank steak.
Pho Gau is made from fatty brisket.
Pho Gan includes a beef tendon.
Pho Sach use beef tripe(stomach)
Pho Vein is made from beef meatballs.
Pho Bo Noodle Soup Recipe
Onion 2 yellow unpeeled and halved
Ginger 4 inch fresh unpeeled and slices
Star anise 10
Coriander seed 1.5 tablespoons
Cardamom pods 4
Salt 1 tablespoons
Fish Sauce 3 tablespoons
White sugar 2 tablespoons
Beef brisket 1.5 kg
Meaty beef bones 1 kg
Marrow bones 1 kg
Water 3.75 quarters
Rice Noodles 50g small, flat dried, and 120 g fresh/bowl
Beef tenderloin 30 g very thin sliced
Brisket slice 3-5
Bean sprout handful
Thai Basil 3-5 sprigs
Cilantro leaves 3-5 sprigs
Red chili 2-3 thin sliced
Lime 2-3 cut into wedges
- Charred the Onion and ginger (as mentioned in the Pho ga recipe).
- Toast the spices ( step two Pho ga recipe)
- Remove impurities from meat just like steps 3, 4, and 5.
- Add water into a large pot and bring it to a boil.
- Add beef bones (brisket, marrow bones, and meaty bones) and charred onion, ginger, and toasted spices.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove brisket when tender and store after cooling for later use.
- Let the remaining soup simmer for 40 minutes or until 3.75 quarts become 2.65 quarts
- Now add fish sauce and adjust the taste as per your flavor.
- Prepare the noodles just before serving. Follow step 1(assemble the bowl) of the pho ga recipe given above.
- Take a bowl; put the prepared noodles in it.
- Top it with raw beef and brisket.
- Add boiling broth about 14 oz per bowl. It will cook raw beef and brisket to medium-rare.
Assemble the garnish on a plate and serve the soup with garnish.
Benefits of Pho Food
The benefits of pho may vary depending on the ingredients added to it.
- It contains many vitamins and minerals. Animal bones are rich in calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus which are good for our bone health.
- Meat marrow contains vitamin K, Vitamin A, and many minerals like iron, zinc, boron, and manganese.
- Meat is rich in protein collagen when cooked becomes gelatin and provides high amino acids.
- It may support the digestive system as the broth is easy to digest and it also helps to digest other foods.
- The amino acid in the bones helps to fight inflammation.
- It reduces symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- The broth is very low in calories and supports weight loss.
- The amino acid Glycine helps to improve the quality of sleep and brain health.